Yellowstone National Park: After the Floods
Yellowstone National Park reopens 6/22 at 8:00 am.
The Lower Loop of Yellowstone National Park reopens June 22nd at 8:00 am after 2 weeks of being closed due to record floods. The Northern entrances of Yellowstone have been severely damaged and will not reopen this year.
The Park Service has instated an Alternating License Plate System (ALPS). Public vehicle entry will be allowed based on whether the last numerical digit on a license plate is odd or even.
Entrance will be granted based on odd/even days on the calendar:
- Odd-numbered last digits on license plates can enter on odd days of the month.
- Even-numbered last digits, including zero, on license plates can enter on even days of the month.
- Personalized license plates with all letters (e.g. YELL4EVR) will still use the last numerical digit on the plate to determine entrance days.
- Entrance station staff will turn away vehicles attempting to enter the park when the odd/even numerical digits do not correspond to the odd/even calendar date for entrance.
Exceptions to ALPS
- Visitors with proof of overnight reservations in the park will be permitted to enter regardless of the license plate number. This includes hotels, campgrounds, and backcountry reservations.
- Current commercial use operators with active commercial use permits will be permitted to enter regardless of the license plate number. This includes commercial tours and stock groups.
- Commercial motorcoaches will be permitted to enter regardless of the license plate number.
- Motorcycle groups may enter on even dates only.